Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Finishing the Floor

When asked what color stain we would use on the floor, I would always answer, "We're not sure, but it will be something dark." And then I would usually get that, "Please no, not dark" look. But we had done our research and I had looked at literally hundreds of photos and I knew a dark floor could be pulled off with the right stain and the right colors in the room.



We decided on Jacobean stain color by Minwax. This is only one coat with a matte finish. The camera flash makes the floor appear lighter than it actually is.




The landing at the top of the stairs gives a better representation of the color of the floor. 




The bookcases were not in the plan and I spent many agonizing hours trying to determine exactly how to fill this space. I was fortunate enough to receive some good advice on the space and the bookcases. 




We substituted railing with the bookcase on the right. Not only do I like the look, but the bookcases will be very useful and soon will be filled with The Boxcar Children, Encyclopedia Brown, and Dr. Seuss books.




The window seat at the other end of the loft opens for storage and will need a cushion for comfort.




The entire house is red oak and has the same Jacobean stain. 




Oh by the way, the chicks are getting big and still hanging around. 

1 comment:

  1. I followed the development of your flooring and all the home renovation and I must say it is impressive. One thing people forget is how important flooring tends to be for your interior decor. Now I know this seems like a long shot at best but I wrote a piece on this and I would love it if you gave some feedback. How Important Is Flooring For Your Interior Design and Decoration? Thanks

    ReplyDelete